Sunday, March 28, 2010

Beijing - Datong - Xian (Need expert advice)

Hi,





I will be in Beijing next week and planning to do a day trip in Datong and then move on to Xian before returning to Beijing.





I do not want to spend a night in Datong and found the below itinerary most ideal for me.





10 Mar - Tue



Beijing to Datong via 7am bus



Visit Hanging Temple



Visit Yungang Grottoes



Depart Datong and travel Taiyuan (by bus or car)



Taiyuan to Xian via 9.30pm overnight train





My concerns:



1. Will I be able to get train tickets to Xian for 2 pax at Taiyuan 0.5 hour before the train departs?



2. Will I be able to reach Taiyuan if I leave Datong at 5.30pm latest?



3. Is there sufficient time for me to visit the Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Temple?



Beijing - Datong - Xian (Need expert advice)


1) Most probably not.



2) Extremely risky. Also, please buy your tickets in advance, the later departures have an uncanny way of selling out before the others.



3) No!!! Not even if you hire a taxi for the day. It takes 4+ hours for Beijing -- Datong, you%26#39;ll hopefully arrive by 1100. It then takes probably another hour or so to the Hanging Monastery, and another hour back. Even if you don%26#39;t eat, you won%26#39;t have enough time. We started at around 0630 (hired car and driver) and rushed to finish to catch a bus at 1530. That%26#39;s 9 hours... and you%26#39;re trying to do it in 2/3rds of the time, not realistic.



Beijing - Datong - Xian (Need expert advice)


Thanks, Ellyse! Guess I am over ambitious...





I think I can resolve Concerns 2 and 3 by taking an overnight train from Beijing to Datong so that we have more time to visit both the Yungang Grottoes and Hanging Temple. And then get a driver to drive us to Tai Yuan.





Is there any way for us to get hold of the train tickets from Taiyuan to Xian in advance?




Vehicle and driver to Taiyuan?! That would be expensive! Just buy the Datong -- Taiyuan bus tickets when you reach Datong, and be back in time for it.



If you can%26#39;t get a train for Taiyuan -- Xi%26#39;an, take bus.




Thanks for the pointer. I will get the bus tix to Taiyuan as soon as I arrive in Datong.





Btw, I was searching for bus schedules from TaiYuan to Xian and found this webpage.





www.tytlj.com.cn/TTCS/KYC/kyfw.asp?lanmu=spwd





Does this mean that I can purchase Taiyuan-Xian train tickets in Datong? Please have a look and let me know.




Eh, no. No connection.



You MIGHT be able to, but don%26#39;t count on it.




you`d better book the train tickets inadvance.



You can catch long bus from Datong to Taiyuan in Bus Station.that is quite easy.But make sure you arrive Taiyuan on time.Beijing-Datong about 4 hours,Datong -Taiyuan 4 hours.




I was once able to get the Taiyuan -- Xi%26#39;an train tickets here in Shanghai, but I%26#39;m not sure how that would help you.




Hi Beijingexperts,





I am unable to purchase the train tix in advance as I intend to arrive Datong and leaving for Xi%26#39;an from Taiyuan on the same day.





If you know of any way to purchase the train tix in advance from other cities, please let me know.





Hi Ellyse,





That%26#39;s an awesome tip. I will try to see if I can get the train tix from Beijing Railway Station.





Thanks guys!




There used to be a foreigner train ticket window in the soft sleeper waiting room in Beijing Station. If it is still there, it might be the best bet to get train tickets for Taiyuan to Xi%26#39;an in advance.




You can ask your hotel book the train tickets for you,they will charge 30 yuan more for service.



You do can go to Beijing train station to buy but they sell train tickets 10days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment