Monday, December 12, 2011

Trains from Nanjing to Beijing

Once more, thanks for the many invaluable post.





I%26#39;ve read and deliberated lot, but finally come up with an itinerary for my 26 day trip. One thing I have decided for sure is that this will not be my only trip.





Anyhow - on to the post. I have decided to spend a day and night in Nanjing. Not a great deal of time, but hopefully I shall be able to see some of the principal sites. I%26#39;ve scrapped Hangzhou to do this as one of my interests lies in modern history (let me know if you think this is not a recommended swap).





After Nanjing, I%26#39;m off to Beijing and considering the overnight train. Few questions -





a) am I right in thinking this originates in Shanghai? If so, does that impact on the ability to get a soft sleeper (the D trains if I am right).





b) If I board at Nanjing is it going to be particularly difficult to store luggage if the compartment is part occupied already (I have read the posts about how to store and the size of luggage - and am likely to be carrying a large rucksack (with wheels thankfully) but its not over knee hight).





c) Would I be crazy to return to Shanghai if thats where the train originates?





d) If not, where can I get tickets in Nanjing to secure a ticket.





I will be traveling on 26 March.





Greetings from London.





James



Trains from Nanjing to Beijing


a) My experience with this is that it makes it much harder to get a sleeper, though soft sleepers are easier than hard sleepers so it should be fine.





b) Not a big deal in soft sleeper usually.





c) Yes. You might as well go from Nanjing. A ticket agency worth its salt can buy you a ticket that originate in Shanghai if they can%26#39;t get a Nanjing one. If you can%26#39;t get a sleeper, fly. It probably will cost about the same.





d) Can%26#39;t say, but I would use a travel agency, maybe one at a hotel. If you can find one that will purchase a ticket for you in advance, that would be best.



Trains from Nanjing to Beijing


Thanks very much Travellevret. Very helpful.





I will ask my hotels in Shanghai and Nanjing if they can book it for me.





I like the idea of securing this booking, but (one more question) - am I right that there is no real need to book the Shanghai to Nanjing leg, and also trains between Shanghai and Suzhou, as there are so many trains, and a seat will be fine. A bit of flexibility will be nice.





James




Depends if you are doing these train trips on a weekend. Always best to book if you can - even if it%26#39;s only a day in advance. Shanghai - Suzhou is very popular.




Thanks. Will do - probably when I get to Shanghai (only 9 days to go).




Not long to go - have a great time:)



As for where trains originate look at this link. It shows where the trains originate %26amp; what time they depart Nanjing for Beijing.



travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/鈥?/a>




Thanks.





Helpful site... will ask my Shanghai hotel to arrange tickets if possible.





Actually, with a bit of hindsight, Nanjing to Beijing is pretty straightforward. Just planning Datong to Pingyao to Xian and that seems a bit more challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment