Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Chopsticks vs fork, knife, spoon

Please do not think poorly of me but I am very concerned about my ability to use chopsticks to eat with. Actually just went to a local Chinese restaurant and if I used chopsticks I%26#39;d still be there trying to eat my dinner. I was thinking about buying a package of simple plastic disposable picnic type utensils (forks, knives, spoons) and sticking it in my pocket while vacationing in China. I%26#39;d be a single traveler who, lets face it, would probably never return to the same restaurants. Has anyone done this? Would there be a reaction by the restaurant or patrons? Im very concerned, please dont think of me as an idiot. Thanks ahead for your comments.



Chopsticks vs fork, knife, spoon


People do this sometimes although it is not common. Not a problem. Why don%26#39;t you learn. Once you know it is easy. Practice by trying to pick up peanuts -- this is how I learned.



http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-with-Chopsticks



http://www.robsworld.org/chopsticks.html



Chopsticks vs fork, knife, spoon


People wont mind that you use utensils instead of chops sticks. If you get lots of stares don%26#39;t worry - it%26#39;s just that people will be very interested (They won%26#39;t think you%26#39;re being unmannerly).



It just takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it it%26#39;s fun. Tip - when eating rice it%26#39;s perfectly okay to bring the bowl up to your mouth %26amp; eat - saves spilling it.




What I noticed in Beijing that there are as many way to holdthe sticks as there are people. So do not worry and just find a way that suits you.





I also saw in one of the links above a long list of rules. Well, I guess if you have a very formal dinner some of those apply. But if you go to normal restaurants you will see that the Chinese way of eating is not governed by many rules:-)




It is a good idea as cheaper restaurants will not have forks available. However usually you will be given a spoon - either china or plastic. I don%26#39;t think anybody will mind if you use that to eat rice. I%26#39;ve never noticed ';manners'; being the issue in China that they are in the west.




Thanks everyone for your kind replies and ';going lightly on me';!




That%26#39;s okay you%26#39;re welcome. And don%26#39;t worry you could sit at the table %26amp; poke your chopsticks up your nostrils %26amp; no one will worry. The rules are off - just enjoy yourself;)



This is website about where to eat in Beijing. It is wonderful, has maps %26amp; names in Engligh %26amp; Chinese.



JPdeM posted it - so thank%26#39;s JP:)




Whoops forgot to post the website link



http://www.mobilenative.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment